Year 9 Options 2023-2024
Making curriculum choices in Year 9 is an especially important process at Harris Academy St. John's Wood. It is an opportunity for you and your child to take increased control of the education choice on offer to them.
The options chosen for Years 10 and 11 will influence how your child experiences their time at the Academy over the next two years, in addition to their post-16 decisions and further study. The option subjects chosen will be studied alongside the core curriculum of English, Maths, Science, MFL, Core PE and PSHE.
To support the decision process, your child has received careers sessions and tutor time sessions devoted to the discussion of the options subjects, the options process and post-16 pathways that their choices can support. It is vital that subjects are chosen for the correct reason.
Click HERE to download the Options Booklet for 2023-2024, which explains in more detail our curriculum - both the core subjects that students must study and the options they can make. The choice of options is a very important decision and should be made with a responsible adult.
Timeline of the process
Friday 22nd December
- Options subject taster sessions
- Student reflection session
- Careers guidance
Thursday 1st February
- ‘Options marketplace’ to provide additional information to parents/careers about the subjects students can choose from.
- Parent information evening led by Laura Lewis (Vice Principal).
- Options form is made available for student selection of subjects.
Monday 25th March
- Deadline for completion of the options form.
Thursday 28th March
- 1:1 student meetings to discuss choices with form tutors and the Year team.
Why choose a option subject?
Good reasons for choosing an option
- You are good at the subject
- You think you will enjoy the course
- It fits your career ideas and plans
- It goes well with your other choices
- It helps to give you plenty of choice post 16
- You think you might want to continue studying it post 16
- Your research shows that it will interest you and motivate you to learn
Bad reasons for choosing an option
- Your friends have chosen it
- You think it will be easy
- Someone else thinks it is a good idea
- You like the teacher you have now
- You did not have time to research your options properly
If you wish to discuss this further please contact:
Laura Lewis: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no single set of abilities running throughout human nature. Therefore, there should be no single curriculum which all should undergo.” John Dewey
|Year 9 Options Evening 2023 24 Presentation Slides||03rd Nov 2023||Download|