We use rewards at Harris Academy St John's Wood to ensure that students are praised and encouraged at every opportunity and to ensure that personal effort, commitment and achievement is acknowledged, rewarded and recorded.
Rewards can foster a positive culture and to show that the school recognises students for their commitment to the school values of Dedication, Determination and Destiny.
Our reward system is inclusive and equitable for all students (irrespective of prior attainment, achievement or behaviour).
The rewards system supports the role of the Head of Year and Tutor in celebrating success, and helps to facilitate the awareness of achievement by other members of staff and parents.
Our rewards system is based around the use of signatures. Students have a page in their planner where our colleagues can acknowledge, for example, good work, a community spirit, contribution to the Academy, strong homework etc. Reward signatures are not limited to the academic.
Signatures can be awarded as follows:
- Rewards Signature (maximum 3 per lesson)
- Head of Year Stamp (5)
- Headteacher (10)
Rewards totals are then tallied by the tutor, resulting in the following awards:
Key Stage 3
- 20 - Signed Head of Year Postcard - Collect from Head of Year and Present in Form
- 100 - Bronze Badge (Presented in Assembly)
- 200 - Silver Badge (Presented in Assembly)
- 350 - Key Stage 3 Gold Badge (Presented in Assembly by Headteacher)
Key Stage 4
- 20 - Signed Head of Year Postcard - Posted by Tutor
- 50 - Key Stage 4 Letter of Commendation from Head of Year
- 100 - Key Stage 4 Letter of Commendation from Head of Year - Prom Discount
- 200 - Key Stage 4 Letter of Commendation from Head of Teacher - Prom Discount